From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jim Zellmer
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Questions About CACHE Project

Doug and MoBirders,

I will try to explain the level of involvement of The Audubon Society of Missouri (ASM) in the partnerships that exist in these organizations.

ASM is a small non-profit organization that is about birding, birds, and bird habitat. In looking for a way that we could contribute to the themes of conservation, preservation and restoration, ASM has teamed up with several state organizations to help in these areas as best as we can for being a small group. The question of money and how is it being applied to partnerships and conservation efforts are as follows:

 Most everyone in Missouri that has been accessing MoBords-L list serve, should know about CACHE and SPARKS projects that ASM is involved with as of to date. Making that assumption, I will go from there.

CACHE I: ASM pledged  $7600.00 to the Grassland Coalition towards the restoration of prairie lands for the Greater Prairie Chicken.

CACHE II: ASM pledged $5000.00 to the Montrose Wetland Restoration Project, restoring wetland habitat.

CACHE III: ASM pledged $3000.00 to the Northeast Missouri Prairie Project, again working towards saving the prairie chicken.

CACHE IV: ASM pledged $5000.00 to the Mingo Basin Partnership Phase I, to restore and enhance palustine and emergent wetland in the Mingo Basin.

CACHE V: Is still in negotiations and has of yet not been signed.

Other projects that ASM has been involved in are; River Hills Forest Ruffed Grouse Habitat Project (partnering with the Ruffed Grouse Society) and the Truman Wetland Restoration Project (partnering with several organization including Ducks Unlimited).

These partnerships include several state and national organizations. Mostly the Missouri Department of Conservation, The Missouri Department of Natural Resources, and many off shoots or extensions of the these organizations. As part of the CACHE agreements, we (ASM) are required to take the money that we receive and put it back into conservation efforts like the ones mentioned above, used for grant matched money from the various organizations.

There is nothing secretive about what ASM is doing for conservation efforts for Missouri birds nor the organizations that we partnership with. It is strictly for the betterment of habitat and habitat restoration for the birds. ASM is trying to do our part by contributing in the manner that I have presented to you now. Please, if any of the Board of Directors or any of the past Presidents of ASM has any further comments to help explain and clarify these issues, please speak up.

Thank you,

Jim Zellmer

President

The Audubon Society of Missouri