Pat St. John and I had two Mississippi Kites at Four Rivers Conservation Area back on Friday, July 31.

Christine Kline

Pleasant Hill, Missouri ( Cass County )

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lawrence Herbert
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: MIKI's in Joplin also

Mobirders -

Mississippi Kite continue to be observed in Joplin also

besides the St. Louis area.  Frankie Meyer called me the

other day and I observed two adults over their swimming

pool at 2235 Fallen Oak, east Joplin, Sunday evening,

August 9.

I have not observed, and do not have any reports of, MIKI

from the nearby towns, including Miami OK, Pittsburg KS

and Carthage, Neosho and Nevada MO.

We found our first nest here in Joplin back in about 1998.

Some college students monitored the nest one afternoon

through my scope and, besides grasshoppers, cicadas,

and beetles, they were sure that a hummingbird was one

of the prey items!

MIKI will be taking off shortly.  They winter all the way down

in southern South America!

Good birding,  Larry H.  Joplin, Jasper County, MO.