At 04:05 PM 8/9/2009, Edge wrote:
A Wilson's Plover is a BIG DEAL.  Much bigger than BB Cuckoo.  Has this been confirmed?  Have car, will travel if there is a Wilson's Plover in Missouri!  This would be a state bird for many, many people.

OK, I'm new at this, hopefully someone else nearby can confirm or correct me.

I did not get out the spotting scope but used a pair of stabilizing 15x30 binocs and it was near enough to the end of the pond I was at to be easily seen.

Slightly smaller than a Killder, but larger than semipalmated plover.  Size in between I'd say.

Single black necklace like a semipalmated, maybe a bit thicker.  The black cap looked to be right amount and coverage

Bill all black.

What are the other options?  Juvenile something else?  What other birds that would fit the bill (pardon the pun)?

As I said, I am green/new enough at this I may be mis-identifying something else.  VERY open to being corrected, or supported.

It was on the mud-flats at northern end of Heron Pond at RMBS, we were there 5:30-7:00 p.m. Saturday August 8.  We parked at the gate to the road on the west side of the pond, I walked down the road to the bridge crossing the creek there and stood on the rock pile and looked out across the pond.  When I got there someone had just come back from taking some photos at the same spot there with a fairly large telephoto lens.  After I left a red mini-van stopped at same place and was there for awhile, still there when we left I belive.

Dave

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/