I don't think I see the point.  So what?  Does that somehow make it less ugly or wrong.  And exactly how does one make that distinction anyway with the term "Jew"?  If race exists at all--except as an idea that does affect people--then the race and religion are linked here, and the operative word seems to be "free-thinking."

>>> Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>08/15/09 4:53 AM >>>

Judaism is fundamental to Christianity. Orthodox Judaism provides a backup for

a central part of orthodox Christian theology. If Judaism dissolves into liberality

then it is a threat to Christian theology, so conceivably the prejudice is religious

rather than racial.

P.

On Aug 13, 2009, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Then why say "Jews" at all?  Why not "free thinkers"?  There are many free thinking Christians, and they do not seem to be a problem in his mind.  And many very non-free thinking Christians--such as rigid fundamentalist protestants--would be as out of place in his culture as free-thinking or unfree-thinking Jews.

There is really no way to just disconnect this from "Jews."  A qualifier qualifies; it frames and limits.  That's its function.

>>> Peter Montgomery 08/13/09 9:48 PM >>>
It's definitely a prejudice, but it would seem not to have a problem
with orthodox Judaism. It seems to be aimed at free thinking per se,
the Judaism is a qualifier, no doubt, but I could believe Eliot didn't
like any free thinking at that point. He was still in the honeymoon
period of his embracing of very orthodox Christianity. His rampage
against Lawrence would be relevant to the discussion.

P.