From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Nancy Gish
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: {Disarmed} Re: {Disarmed} Re: Eliot's Suppressed Lecture

Then why say "Jews" at all?  Why not "free thinkers"?  There are many free
thinking Christians, and they do not seem to be a problem in his mind.  And
many very non-free thinking Christians--such as rigid fundamentalist
protestants--would be as out of place in his culture as free-thinking or
unfree-thinking Jews.

There is really no way to just disconnect this from "Jews."  A qualifier
qualifies; it frames and limits.  That's its function.
>>> Peter Montgomery 08/13/09 9:48 PM >>>
It's definitely a prejudice, but it would seem not to have a problem
with orthodox Judaism. It seems to be aimed at free thinking per se,
the Judaism is a qualifier, no doubt, but I could believe Eliot didn't
like any free thinking at that point. He was still in the honeymoon
period of his embracing of very orthodox Christianity. His rampage
against Lawrence would be relevant to the discussion.

P.