Dear Tom,

This is a wonderful set of excerpts because they place the play in the context of facts and knowledge rather than imposed ideas.

I now need to reread Schuchard, as it has been quite a while.  I'm glad you found the Chinitz good.
Best,
Nancy

>>> Tom Colket <[log in to unmask]>08/01/09 10:37 PM >>>

.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt;
font-family:Verdana
}

Info on Sweeney Agonistes, post 6 of 6:

Abandoning the play:

[Schuchard, p96-100]
Eliot tinkered with Sweeney Agonistes for productions in the 1930S, but he finally abandoned any intention of completing it-perhaps because the human drama that motivated it had ended and the comedian had lost his ferocity, perhaps because his marriage itself had died, not to be reborn. On 8 April 1936 Eliot wrote to Paul Elmer More that it "has always pleased me that you had a special liking for Sweeney Agonistes: I think myself that it is the most _original_ thing that I have done." Nonetheless, Eliot explains, "It is useless to speculate whether, if circumstances had permitted my finishing that play at the time, it would have been equally good as a whole; the only thing that is certain is that twelve years have made too great a difference in me for me to touch it now" (Princeton).

Get free photo software from Windows Live <A href="http://www.windowslive.com/online/photos?ocid=PID23393::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_PH_software:082009" target=_new>Click here.