I'm probably boring everyone to death with my new-found obsession for Sweeney Agonistes, but I'm hooked.

I found a photograph taken from the 1933 world premiere at Vassar which I'm attaching to this email. The picture can be found in an on-line preview of the book "The American Play", by Marc Robinson, p232. The link is:

http://books.google.com/books?id=hGzLE1KVw30C&dq=the+american+play+marc+robinson&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=JasEk3O4Fc&sig=o59bpxwg8PjCXuM3T1MJeyUhzuM&hl=en&ei=FCiASsGIM6fEtgf5ysXdAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&safe=active#v=onepage&q=&f=false

By the way, I'm also getting interested in the life and career of Hallie Flanagan. I found a photo of her on-line which I'm also attaching.
(see the link at
http://vcencyclopedia.vassar.edu/faculty/prominent-faculty/hallie-flanagan-davis.html
)

From the reading I've been doing recently, it seems like Hallie Flanagan was a pioneer in theatrical productions.  Clearly Eliot was impressed, giving her permission to do the world premiere of Sweeney Agonistes and writing a "third scene" for the Vassar production (that Eliot personally attended). Also, according to an on-line article, "T. S. Eliot came to the world premiere of "Sweeney Agonistes" and pronounced it better than his own conception of the piece" (See book review of "Hallie Flanagan, A life in the American Theatre", by Joanne Bentley, 1988