"Irresponsible foetus" and "hot sun" should be sent to the Department of Redundancy Department.

Diana

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:09:28 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Waste Land Sex
To: [log in to unmask]

Funny thing about modifiers in English.  Do they describe?  Do they invite comparisons?  Serve mixed functions?

It is true that a ftus has no responsibilities, so, just as it is accurate to say "the hot sun" without the necessity that it is ever cool or that there are other suns that are, it is accurate to say "an irresponsible ftus," as long as one grants that a-responsibility is irresponsibility.  (Not sure I do.)  And then there is the rather creepy matter of a laughing one.  But I don't there is an ambivalence in the phrase as to the function of the adjective, unlike in "free-thinking Jews," the phrase that was all the rage here recently, where there is one or more of Empson's ambivalences.

Best,
Marcia

Diana Manister wrote:
[log in to unmask]> Dear CR:

First of all, I'd like to know how any foetus could be responsible.