Diana wrote:
> "Free-thinking" is an intensifier for "Jews." The subtext there
>  is "the presence of Jews, too many of whom are free-thinking,
> would be undesirable."

Diana:

Ken sent in a post yesterday that had a very different explanation of the Eliot passage. I'm wondering if you received the post. It ended with:

> As Guy Brown went on to explain, "free thinking Jews" becomes, in the
> context of the New Canaan, the term for atheists.
>
> Ken A

-- Tom --

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:29:16 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Eliot's Suppressed Lecture
To: [log in to unmask]

Peter,

The point has been made several times that Eliot term "free-thinking Jews" does not comprise a distinction. "Free-thinking" is an intensifier for "Jews." The subtext there is "the presence of Jews, too many of whom are free-thinking, would be undesirable."

Diana