My remark was intended as a joke, but England was perhaps enticing to him because of its lack of ethnic diversity at that time.

Kate

In a message dated 8/16/2009 10:06:05 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Well, we do know that is not why he left America.  He was in Germany as a student when WWI broke out and managed to make it to London.  He settled in, got married, and did not want to be a philophy professor in the US but a poet in England.  His parents did not want him to be a poet, so he stayed away.  Of course that is only one thread of a complicated set of potential reasons, but I know of no suggestion in his early texts that he wanted to be in a homogeneous environment and that was his motive.

>>> Kate Troy <[log in to unmask]>08/16/09 9:34 AM >>>
And now we know the reason why he left America.  He would, I suppose, be shock today to witness the cultures existing in London.