Dear Tom,

The only way to answer this is to address the definitions of "vulgar"
and "primitive." In many senses, Sweeney is just vulgar by definition:
for example, he belongs "to the ordinary or common class in the
community, esp. the uneducated or ignorant"; he is "a person not
reckoned as belonging to good society"; he is one of "the common
people." See the OED. There are more examples.

"Primitive" is a highly charged word. In the 1920s it was assumed to be
an accurate description of societies that we now know were highly
complex. Eliot's use would need to be studied, but he clearly assumed
that Conrad's image, for example, was a depiction of primitivism, and he
read a lot about it. The word now is suspect in that general sense, so
the question can't be answered just by saying one or the other. It needs
precise definition and analysis of what the difference would be. I think
in Sweeney Agonistes he is both vulgar and primitive (in the sense then
generally used). I haven't thought about the version at Vassar, so I'm
only commenting on the published version.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> Tom Colket 08/10/09 4:46 PM >>>
Diana:

I'm just trying to think through Peter's question: In the early poems,
is Sweeney vulgar or just primitive?

Yes, the sex being described is mechanical and Eliot's word choices for
the physical description of Sweeney are ugly ("withered root",
"slitted", "gashed", "oval O cropped out with teeth", etc.). In another
poem he is the "silent vertebrate".

Primitive, yes. But is he vulgar?

I used the term "whore house" because of the later lines in the poem:

Mrs. Turner intimates
It does the house no sort of good

-- Tom --