The lines that should be of more interest to Eliot fans are the
ones that come immediately before.  They deal with seers and the
transformation of the personal to the universal.  I have the end
of Hesse's essay (in English and German) at my website at

http://world.std.com/~raparker/exploring/tseliot/people/hesse.html#hesse_quote
and the full essay in an English translation by Stephen Hudson at

http://world.std.com/~raparker/exploring/books/hesse_hudson_brothers.html

Regards,
     Rick Parker