This morning I birded Monroe County floodplain, especially between I-255 and
a little south of Bottom Rd but I did cover farther south, all the way to Rt. 159
and also north of I-255 as well. I found a juvenile Scissor-tailed Flycatcher on
a wire along Bixby Rd near the county line between Monroe and St. Clair and
just north of a farm (I forget the name, the letter begins with P). Found some
shorebirds in a large pond along Levee Rd immediately south of I-255 ( it's the
pond you see while driving eastward on the highway.), in a shrinking pond
near the intersection of Rt DD and Levee Rd, and in a couple of ponds along
Levve Rd after you turn left on Bottom Rd. More Swallows were seen farther
seen. Here is today result:

Mourning Dove
Northern Cardinal
Great Egret
Great Blue Heron
Pectoral Sandpiper
Killdeer
Least Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper - 2
European Starling
Cattle Egret - 2, one of them in the cattle field along Bixby Rd
Indigo Bunting
Northern Mockingbird - 3
Brown-headed Cowbird
Barn Swallow
American Robin
Common Grackle
Solitary Sandpiper ~ 10
Mallard
Little Blue Heron
Snowy Egret
Red-winged Blackbird
Rock Pigeon - just one - on Levee Rd
Turkey Vulture - 4
Semipalmated Plover - just one  - in the large pond south of I-255
Pied-billed Grebe - 1 in the large pond
Wood Duck
Canada Goose
Baird's Sandpiper - 3 in the large pond
Semipalmated Sandpiper ~ 10-15 in the large Pond
American Kestrel - 5
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - 1 along Bixby Rd
Eurasian Collared Dove - 2
Greater Yellowlegs - 1 near Bottom Rd
American Crow
Lark Sparrow - farther south along Levve Rd ( This one had a worn plummage
and that was my first ever in Illinois).
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Bank Swallow

I had a total of 38 species this morning but struck out on White Ibis which I
had hoped to see.

Good birding,
Jim Hickner