I would submit that Snow Geese are relatively completely counted by CBC, because the circles often center on refuges. Red-wings are undoubtedly less thoroughly counted by CBCs. The Breeding Bird Surveys may give a better picture, but there are a lot of assumptions there, too.

Of course, NO ONE has complete counts for any common species--only the rare, threatened or endangered ones (sometimes).

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Dave Faintich
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:12 AM
Subject: North American Bird Population

MO-Birders -

I am trying to resolve a question about N.A. bird populations and I hope someone on MO-Birds can assist me.

I was discussing bird populations with my brother and I mentioned that I believed the most common bird in North America was the Red-winged Blackbired (a statistic I've believed was true for some time).  He came back with a list from the most recent CBC, which shows the Snow Goose at #1.

Most Numerous Birds
Rank   Species Individuals
1 Snow Goose 1,337,300
2 Canada Goose 971,776
3 American Robin 968,788
4 European Starling 549,309
5 American Crow 504,994
6 Common Grackle 499,616
7 Red-winged Blackbird 423,188
8 American Goldfinch 421,685
9 Dark-eyed Junco 285,120
10 Pine Siskin 279,469

In searching the internet, I found one article that said there were 320,000,000 American Robins in NA, but I couldn't find an authoritative list anywhere.

Can anyone help?

...Dave Faintich

Olivette, MO
http://david.faintich.com/

"The truth of the matter is, the birds could very well live without us, but many - perhaps all - of us would find life incomplete, indeed almost intolerable without the birds" ~~ Roger Tory Peterson