I would submit that Snow Geese are relatively completely counted by CBC, because the circles often center on refuges. Red-wings are undoubtedly less thoroughly counted by CBCs. The Breeding Bird Surveys may give a better picture, but there are a lot of assumptions there, too.

Of course, NO ONE has complete counts for any common species--only the rare, threatened or endangered ones (sometimes).

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dave Faintich
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:12 AM
  Subject: North American Bird Population

  MO-Birders -

  I am trying to resolve a question about N.A. bird populations and I hope someone on MO-Birds can assist me.

  I was discussing bird populations with my brother and I mentioned that I believed the most common bird in North America was the Red-winged Blackbired (a statistic I've believed was true for some time).  He came back with a list from the most recent CBC, which shows the Snow Goose at #1.

  Most Numerous Birds
        Rank   Species Individuals
        1 Snow Goose  1,337,300
        2 Canada Goose  971,776
        3 American Robin  968,788
        4 European Starling  549,309
        5 American Crow  504,994
        6 Common Grackle  499,616
        7 Red-winged Blackbird  423,188
        8 American Goldfinch  421,685
        9 Dark-eyed Junco  285,120
        10 Pine Siskin  279,469

  In searching the internet, I found one article that said there were 320,000,000 American Robins in NA, but I couldn't find an authoritative list anywhere.

  Can anyone help?

  ...Dave Faintich

  Olivette, MO
  http://david.faintich.com/

  "The truth of the matter is, the birds could very well live without us, but many - perhaps all - of us would find life incomplete, indeed almost intolerable without the birds" ~~ Roger Tory Peterson