Although I don't always have computer/internet access, I just wanted to update everyone and let you know that I talked with Christine Kline this morning.  She said that she had gone back this morning and did see this bird again around 8:30 a.m.  She was continuing on south to 4 Rivers to bird this afternoon, but did take additional pictures and will probably be updating her sightings this evening.  While she was in Raymore this morning, she played a recording of a Tropical Kingbird and received an answering call back.  If you have recording equipment and are able to make a recording, it would be extremely beneficial for documenting this sighting.  Thanks and good birding!

Nan Johnson & Jo Garrett

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Jim and Charlene Malone <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:37:24 AM
Subject: Re: Kingbird sp. (Cassins?) PHOTOS

Christine,

I hope you took notes on what you saw. Those, with your pictures should be included in a documentation report to the Missouri bird record committee. It looks from your pictures (unless my eyes deceive me) that you have correctly identified a Cassin's Kingbird. As you point out, the yellow on the breast terminates at grey which projects onto the throat and sides of the face. This is a distinctive fieldmark for Cassin's and should not be seen in the other kingbird species. Although the bill may be heavier than that of a Western Kingbird, it does not appear to be the huge beak seen on Tropical/Couch's. The final field mark that clenches the ID for me is the white cheekpatch which is bounded above and (more importantly) below by gray from the face. All of these are good fieldmarks for Cassin's. Thanks to Ann Johnson and Jo Ann Garrett for sharing this bird. Please make it stay there for a few days.

Jim Malone
Ballwin, MO
St. Louis county

A big thank you to Jason for his help!