Christine,

I hope you took notes on what you saw. Those, with your pictures should be included in a documentation report to the Missouri bird record committee. It looks from your pictures (unless my eyes deceive me) that you have correctly identified a Cassin's Kingbird. As you point out, the yellow on the breast terminates at grey which projects onto the throat and sides of the face. This is a distinctive fieldmark for Cassin's and should not be seen in the other kingbird species. Although the bill may be heavier than that of a Western Kingbird, it does not appear to be the huge beak seen on Tropical/Couch's. The final field mark that clenches the ID for me is the white cheekpatch which is bounded above and (more importantly) below by gray from the face. All of these are good fieldmarks for Cassin's. Thanks to Ann Johnson and Jo Ann Garrett for sharing this bird. Please make it stay there for a few days.

Jim Malone
Ballwin, MO
St. Louis county