Aaahh, Jenny,

Just in time for late July-early August when birders are bored and
great controversies spring full-blown onto the listserve.

You will find nearly as many opinions about playing bird songs and
calls as we have posters on mobirds, and most will be able to cite
something that backs their opinion/practice/non-practice.

I'll give mine first so folks can have something to aim at,
especially since it was probably my post with the mention of the
irate Red-bellied Woodpecker that prompted your query.

It depends.  I'm not vacillating, just emphasizing that there is no
one, simple answer.  Here are my "rules of thumb":

1.  In breeding season when males are establishing/defending
territory--no play'um ipod, except maybe a little if I have reason to
think there is something special up there that I can't see or hear
well enough to be sure.  Note:  I'm birding in places no one else
hardly ever (or never) goes.

2.  In migration (spring or fall):  Play away (within reason).  The
birds are not on territory; several are practicing; others are
singing/calling and locating one another during feeding times before
taking off for the next leg of the trip.  I'll play sounds enough to
bring them into view, then shut it off.

3.  When teaching birding/bird i.d., I will play the ipod (mine is
named McMimic) to bring feeding flocks into view for class to see.
I'll play a variety of small bird sounds.  I don't see this any more
(probably less) intrusive/disturbing than playing Eastern Screech-owl
over and over to attract mobbers.)

4.  When viewing a "look-alike" species, I may play vocalizations to
elicit a response to determine identity (this has varying results;
e.g., a silent empid usually remains a silent [unidentified] empid.

As to that woodpecker.  I played the sounds through one cycle.  He
was incensed, because we were unknowingly very close to the nest
hole.  He gave us the "what for!" and went away the winner, for he
held his territory and scared the interlopers away.

Hope this gives a perspective, and some food for thought rather than
fodder for a fight.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO