I had to laugh!  Yes, shorebirds act differently than yard birds, and
that fact led me to a rather difficult afternoon a couple years ago.

A west coast couple was visiting friends in Columbia in early July.
I was asked to take them birding.  They said shorebirds were their
favorites and that they wanted to see eastern birds, but they could
only go birding in the afternoon.

I figured that if they were into shorebirds they weren't beginning
birders!

It was HOT!  I took them to Rock Bridge Mem. SP, one of my favorite
haunts.  It was one of the most difficult birding outings I've ever
had.  We saw a total of 7 species.

The first bird we found was a male Red-bellied Woodpecker.  He
responded to the tape, came to a branch 15 feet over our heads and
was so irate he raised a crest I didn't know he had!  He stayed on
that limb, calling and scolding us for more than 3 minutes.  But
throughout that time (remember 15 feet above us and 3 minutes) the
wife could not get him in her binocular view!

We went on.  Oh, was it quiet.  No birds sang.  It was siesta time.
They asked, "Where do you go when you want to see birds?"
"Uhhh, here," I replied, "but morning is better, when it's cooler."

Real silence, now.  They were really suffering in the midwest heat/
humidity.

I said, "[host] told me shorebirds are your favorites.  I suppose you
get to see quite a few, living on the west coast."

"Yes," she replied, "we like them best because they stand still and
there are no trees for them to hide in."