Christine,

I hope you took notes on what you saw. Those, with your pictures should be
included in a documentation report to the Missouri bird record committee. It
looks from your pictures (unless my eyes deceive me) that you have correctly
identified a Cassin's Kingbird. As you point out, the yellow on the breast
terminates at grey which projects onto the throat and sides of the face.
This is a distinctive fieldmark for Cassin's and should not be seen in the
other kingbird species. Although the bill may be heavier than that of a
Western Kingbird, it does not appear to be the huge beak seen on
Tropical/Couch's. The final field mark that clenches the ID for me is the
white cheekpatch which is bounded above and (more importantly) below by gray
from the face. All of these are good fieldmarks for Cassin's. Thanks to Ann
Johnson and Jo Ann Garrett for sharing this bird. Please make it stay there
for a few days.

Jim Malone
Ballwin, MO
St. Louis county