From: Nancy Leo <[log in to unmask]>
Date: July 17, 2009 10:11:53 AM CDT
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: KOS lead petitioner to have LPC listed as threatened in Kansas

Dear Ks-listers,

On July 6th, 2009, Kansas Ornithological and six other state wildlife/conservation organizations, filed an emergency petition with KDWP to list the Lesser Prairie Chicken (Tympanuchus pallidicinctus) as a threatened species on the state's Threatened and Endangered list.  This week I have been sending press releases to various wildlife agencies and numerous newspapers across Kansas about our petition.  As many of you already know, Kansas has approximately 50% of all remaining LPC in the world, and with the huge declines in all populations across its fragmented range, protecting the Kansas population becomes more important in the struggle to protect this species from extinction.

I can't thank Mark Robbins, and Gene Young enough for all they have done by drafting this emergency petition.  I also need to thank Chuck Otte who wrote the press release I am sending out.  Chuck has also put the complete petition and all the documentation online at:
http://ksbirds.org/LPC/LPC_Petition.html  Mark, Gene, Chuck or myself will keep everyone abreast of the developments that pertains to this petition.  Thanks, and have a great weekend!  Enjoy the lack of heat and humidity that is forecasted for the next few days!

nancy

Nancy Leo, President
Kansas Ornithological Society
Prairie Village, KS