This week I've been seeing the usual numbers, especially near water and/or martin houses in central Missouri.
On Jul 20, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Bill Eddleman wrote:

No, this is about on target, especially for Purple Martins. They are mostly gone by mid-August.

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Chris Barrigar
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 8:22 AM
Subject: Staging Swallows?, Southeast Missouri

Saturday evening, I fished the large lake at Duck Creek CA, and there were 1500 minimum Purple Martins in the Cypress Trees and out over the water.

Sunday afternoon at Otter Slough CA (North to South) there were hundreds (even into the thousands) of swallows. I believe my count for Cliff Swallows was over 800 alone.

Isn't it a little early for staging swallows?

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Celebrate the moment with your favorite sports pics. Check it out.
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/