  I think the M. Kites I see flying over my house are probably from the group you see. I only see one at a time, but it is a fairly common sighting, usually flying  high. I live not so far from Webster proper.

Jane Allen
St. Louis County

--- On Mon, 7/20/09, Pat Lueders <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Pat Lueders <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Mississippi Kites in Webster Groves, MO
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, July 20, 2009, 2:03 PM

Today at 9:52 am I saw 6 Mississippi Kites fly up together from some tall trees at the corner of W. Swon & Jefferson in Webster Groves, MO, a suburb of St. Louis.  They arose together, slowly increasing their altitude, and then dispersed in different directions.  Oddly, all appeared to be adults, and I didn't hear any of their whistles.   I've read that they often nest in loose colonies, but I was surprised that there weren't any juveniles in the group.   Maybe they haven't fledged yet.

The two juvenile hummingbirds fledged yesterday, and I saw them following their mother around this morning.

Pat Lueders, Webster Groves, MO

What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas for any occasion.------------------------------------------------------------
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/