Nancy> It seems to me a brilliant sound/rhythm representation of
N>  exactly Sweeney's total vulgarity of mind. I fail to see any reason
N> to ascribe philosophical or theological concepts to Sweeney.

Are you saying you see no evidence of philosophical or theological concepts in any of Sweeney's dialogues in "Sweeney Agonistes"?

For the theological, what about:

"Birth, and copulation, and death,
I've been born, and once is enough.
You don't remember, but I remember,
Once is enough."

I assume the reader is supposed to think about the Christian theological notion of being "born again", right?

As far as philosophical, what about:

"He didn't know if he was alive and the girl was dead
He didn't know if the girl was alive and he was dead
. . .
When you're alone like he was alone
You're either or neither
. . .
Death or life or life or death
Death is life and life is death
I gotta use words when I talk to you
But if you understand or if you don't
That's nothing to me and nothing to you"

I wouldn't describe this as Sweeney's total vulgarity of mind. Lots of philosophy in those lines, as well as echoes of Eliot's earlier works (e.g., "TWL") and a preview of Eliot works yet to come (e.g., "Four Quartets").

-- Tom --