Ahh the coupling of man and woman and that of bthe beastie boys.

On Jul 10, 2009, Rickard A. Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Is that passage a translation?

> P. On Jul 9, 2009, Tom Colket
> >[log in to unmask]< wrote: 7/9/09While searching the web, I found
> a reference to the "Registers of Birth, Copulation, and Death", used to
> record the mid-18th century census in Mecklenburg, Germany. I didn't
> realize that those particular words were used, in that order, for the
> title of the registers of birth, marriage, and death for a census. I
> thought the list be interested to learn of the reference.-- Tom
> --http://www.demogr.mpg.de/en/research/1405.htm

The German version of the page has "gebohren, copulirt und gestorben"
http://www.demogr.mpg.de/de/forschung/1405.htm

On webpage
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/k/i/l/Ed-R-Killian/FILE/0022text.txt
is:

In old German church book records the word “kopuliert” or “copulirt”
was often used for "married” or “joined in marriage”.

For fun here is a longer cut from that page:

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/k/i/l/Ed-R-Killian/FILE/0022text.txt

Herr Hans Ebert, whose transcription of the church records is cited
above, was contacted by Email, and on 19 December 2007 he supplied the
author a scanned copy of the original record along with his German
transcription of that record. The precise wording of the marriage entry
is:
"33
Andreas Kilian von Artzbach und Magda,,
lena Fischerin von Steinbach sind wegen
getriebener Fornication nach dem Au,,
schreiben copulirt worden (Mittwoch) d. 6. Mai (1722)"

Recordings for other similar marriages in this church book are written
as: “...sind wegen getriebener Fornication dem Ausschreiben gemeß
copulirt worden.”

Translation Lexicon:
Von – of
und – and
sind – are
wegen – on account of, because of, as a consequence of
getriebener – driven, impelled (worden getriebener = were driven, have
been driven)
Fornication (Fornicanten) – fornication, indecent persons
Fornicanten ehen – both fornicators
nach – after, following, in accordance with
dem – the
Ausschreiben – written out, the completely written rule, to announce or post
gemeß, or gemäß – in compliance with, pursuant to, in accordance with
copulirt – married, joined
worden – were

TRANSLATION

“Andreas Kilian of Arzbach and Magdalena Fisher of Steinbach were
fornicators joined together in accordance with the laws of marriage.
Wednesday the 6th of May. (1722)”

Herr Hans Ebert’s comments, “The parents of the bride and groom were
normally named in marriage certificates in the 18th century. In the case
of Andreas Kilian and Magdalena Fischer a “Fornicantenehe” was involved.
In this case the woman was pregnant without being married. On these
grounds the pair was officially forced to marry; in such cases the
parents were normally not named.”

As used in the eighteenth century, fornication was a noun derived from
Latin and referred to consensual sexual intercourse between two persons
not married to each other. Adultery, on the other hand, was consensual
sex where one or both of the partners were married to another.
Fornication is dealt with differently in various cultures. In old German