Diana wrote:
> Actually "sex" seems a bit too delicate a word for Sweeney to use!
> He's closer to Bolo than most of TSE's "official" characters.

I've been thinking about your comparison. Clearly Sweeney is crude, goes to whore houses, etc. But I've always taken Eliot to mean that the "natural man" Sweeney somehow intuitively understands the true nature of God, understands at a deeper level than more "cerebral" people. That's how I read these Sweeney lines (i.e, Sweeney in his bath is closer to the baptized Christ in the poem than are the "masters"):

"Sweeney shifts from ham to ham
Stirring the water in his bath.
The masters of the subtle schools
Are controversial, polymath."

So when Sweeney lists out the three "brass tacks" of existence as "birth, and copulation, and death", I find myself wondering what insight Sweeney has about "copulation". As I mentioned in the first post, I think the point is that physical sex helps us to understand the "final cause" of love, the attraction of the soul to God, the desire of the soul to be reunited with God.

Or am I overreading?

-- Tom --