The line at the end, "What you get married for. . ." was Vivienne's.

>>> Tom Colket <[log in to unmask]>07/10/09 7:41 AM >>>

.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt;
font-family:Verdana
}

Rick cited this comment:
> As used in the eighteenth century, fornication . . .referred to
> consensual sexual intercourse between two persons
> not married to each other. Adultery. . . was consensual
> sex where one or both of the partners were married to another.
> the word “kopuliert” or “copulirt” was often used
> for "married” or “joined in marriage”.

So the translator of the page used the English word 'copulation' for “copulirt”. I'd be interested if the German speakers on the list feel that this is a good translation.

If it is a good translation (and if the same word meanings were still used in England in 1927), I wonder if Sweeney is deliberately making a distinction between "married sex" (copulation) and unmarried sex (fornication). Either word would scan in the line.

"What you get married for if you don't want children?"

-- Tom --

Lauren found her dream laptop. <A href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/choosepc/?ocid=ftp_val_wl_290" target=_new>Find the PC that’s right for you.