Further thoughts, Tom. Info which you may already have:
The early Eliot believed in the morality of the lower classes,
in the sense that he thought they really had a morality, good or evil.
He rejected the amorality of the middle and upper classes
for being dead, as he portrayed so well in his plays.
This was one of his reasons for identifying with Baudelaire and the
British music hall. His classic statement about that was in his
short essay MARIE LLOYD (in Selected Essays). The folks
in Sweeney A. are just such folk. They confront it all, good and evil
Friends and fiends (like Sweeney's guy). Interestingly, the MARIE LLOYD
essay also references a south sea island community.

There are several layers in the play:
music hall
Greek satire
Irish mythology  (Sweeney's ancestor Suibhne)
Christian/Jewish culture (conversion,weddings, funerals,Samson)

I think Eliot was experimenting with what he called
the mythic method to braid several traditions together
to get a rich texture.

I see Sweeney as a kind of Greek choragos who reports
and comments on what is going on, but is detached
from it all.

He uses the light playful musical ritual to teach the folks that
life as an escape on a south sea island is not real, is
very misleading. Commercial culture is deadening.

The women are sharp. They know exactly what danger they are in.
But they see Sweeney as a good guy. He may warn of threats, but
he is not one himself. It is periera who is the threat, the truly dark
figure.

Cheers,
Peter

Jul 26, 2009 04:43:34 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

P> The style of the missionary stew conversation is musical
P> and playful, by ALL the characters. It is distinct from
P> regular conversation.

I basically agree with this, Peter. And I also agree with Nancy that there is horror running throughout the play. I have not read "The Origin of Attic Comedy" (which Eliot apparently told people to read to better understand what he was trying to do with the play), but from my second-hand knowledge, the 'Attic Comedy' work talks about the close relation of comedy and tragedy. I'm starting to understand that the structure of 'Agonistes' continuously demonstrates this relation.

If that's right, then I have a different take on my original question about the phrase "Birth, and copulation, and death". On one hand, I can hear that line said in a jazz rhythm, upbeat and exciting in tone. But Sweeney also says, "That's all the facts when you come down to brass tacks". Notice that he uses the word "facts". From a viewpoint of facts, of knowledge, the "brass tacks" things that you need to know about a society is its rate of birth, how many people are copulating to predict the upcoming births, and the deaths. That's all that German registrar census book wanted to know that I cited in an earlier post.

But upon reflection, this is horrifying. Is that all there is to human existence? An endless cycle of birth and copulation and death? The "facts" of human existence do not yield the meaning of being human. This reminds me of an Eliot line from 4Q yet to be written at the time of "Sweeney Agonistes": "We had the experience but missed the meaning".

I'm suggesting that Sweeney's line, jazzy and witty and concise, is intended to be both amusing and horrifying at the same instant. The audience is supposed to tap its feet and gasp in horror at the same time.

Anyway, some thoughts triggered by the list discussions. . .

-- Tom --