I was in a second hand shop a few weeks ago and came across an old edition of A room of One's Own.  I purchased it and just this last week, I read it.  I had read it before, or some of it, in college.  I remembered, of course, the line about a woman needing a little money and a room of her own, but not much else.   This time, I read it through with no problem and it struck me that Virginia was so . . . . . .modern.  I was amused that in 1929, she stated:  Just because women can't play football doesn't mean that they can't be doctors. Also, why are men's interests, i.e, sports, considered important and women's interests, i.e., fashion, considered trivial.  As to modern times, her first idea, about women being great professional doctors in spite of their not being on the NFL, is well accepted.  But, the second, about men's interests being more important than women's interests is still . . . . .  .  Even more significant to this group, if Eliot was such a great friend of hers, he must of read her works, knew her thoughts; yet, his idea and treatment of women was pathetic and archaic.

Kate

In a message dated 7/18/2009 8:26:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Peter Montgomery wrote:

  > Don't think he felt like killing a woman, but then Sweeney doesn't
> exactlly demo. that except in a playful way.  He did happen to know
> someone like that, as I am sure, did  Jesus.

I don't see Sweeney being playful describing the death but more matter
of fact.  Still, there is a lighter tone throughout the play.  There are
the names, repetition and rhythm leading to that.

However, that is what I'm getting from the words on a page.  In a
performance there are so many things that lead to an impression: in
direction, lighting, stage design, customes, timing, and actor's
inflections, tone and mannerisms.  Even program notes and audience
reaction (think of "The Producers".)

Lyndall Gordon sees horror in "Sweeney Agonistes" and she wrote that
Vivienne Eliot did also.  On the other hand, one of the first
performances, if not the first, was by Vassar College, a women's
college.

Regards,
     Rick Parker