In American fundamentalist churches today, "to be born again" does have
a meaning of answering an alter call and taking Jesus as one's personal
savior.  It is a particular experience.  And yes, I know the source.

The fact that Sweeney speaks of eating Doris (it is also, unfortunately,
a common line to say "I want to eat you" as a sexual remark) does not
make any necessary reference to religion.  Eating is a pretty common
practice and has many contexts.
Nancy

>>> Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]> 07/15/09 7:06 PM >>>
I'm not sure what you mean by the usual context of fundamentalism.
Here is the original ciontext of the Bible in the gospel of St. John:

"Jesus answered and said to him, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, unless
one
is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.' Nicodemus said to Him,

'How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into
his
mother's womb and be born?' Jesus answered, 'Most assuredly, I say to
you,
unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom
of
God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of
the
Spirit is spirit.
Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' The wind
blows
where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it
comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the
Spirit.'"
(St. John 3:3-8)

Given the references to cannibalism in the play, and Jesus' comments
about
eating his flesh and drinking his blood
in St. John chapter six, I think one can make a case that Sweeney is
addressing the Biblical context.

St. John 6:53: "Unless you eat the flesh of the son of man and drink his

blood you have no life in you"
The Catholic Church reads this statement literally.

Remember the MISSIONARY stew?

You did say :"I would be interested in a reason to see it that way."

P.