Of course, the basic etymology is Greek poiein, "to make or do"

jtwalsh, lurking

________________________________
From: Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:40:08 PM
Subject: Re: OT - Of Poets & Poetry

Interestingly, the word in Scots for a poet is "makar" or one who makes.  That is rather different from a seer.  In German it is "Dichter," from the verb "dichten"--to write, compose, or in another sense to meditate on or reflect on--while "Dichtung," the noun, is both poetry and imagination. It might be interesting to look at the roots of many languages for their core meaning of poet.  There are many ways of thinking about it.

Chokh Raj wrote:
> I was only
> struck by Eliot's emphasis on Tiresias's *"seeing"* -- and it evoked the
> thought in me that "seeing" is the hallmark of poetry and that all poets
> are essentially one as "seers".

Shouldn't that be "sayers"? ;-)

Regards,
Rick Parker