The note below just came in from Sarah Miller, the biologist at RMBS who is
overseeing the Least Tern project.   Evidently there are two barges hitched
together and the terns are on the one closest to Ellis Island.   The barge
and the birds are easily viewed from Riverlands Way just opposite Heron Pond
or from the old bathroom area parking lot.   If anyone wants to see the
pictures of the nest and eggs that Sarah has please contact me off-MOBirds
and I will forward them to you.   Al Smith also has some great pictures of
the birds on the barge with lots of the decoys around.   Go to
http://www.photosbyat.com/gallery/8597758_wiSFc#566904585_Mccak  to see Alšs
photos.   The solar cell array is to supply power to the sound system which
is broadcasting Least Tern calls and probably helped immeasurably in
attracting these birds.   With all the mud flats around it is amazing that
these birds chose the barge where they will not be inundated, as has
happened in the past, when Ellis Bay is brought up to summer pool in the
first week of July

John Solodar
University City
St. Louis County, MO

All,

    We went out by boat this morning to confirm if there was a nest on
the barges.  There is in fact one nest with three eggs.  I have attached a
pdf file with a couple of picture of the nest and eggs.  The nest is on the
barge closest to Ellis Island, pretty much in the center of the barge.  We
will keep you informed as you continue to monitor the barges from shore and
please let us know if you see anything interesting as well.

    <<Least Tern Eggs 6-19-09.pdf>>

    As always please feel free to contact me anytime.

    Thanks,

    Sarah Miller
    Biologist
    US Army Corps of Engineers