If I am correct, there was only two words of profanity used...but one word is a place often referenced in the Bible and which kids are very familiar with.  The other is simply so overheard and used, I can't imagine any child being offended - only parents who are under the illusion their kids don't hear this everyday.  The phrases people used on here were cute - not profanity.  I disagree with all this moralizing.

I was having so much fun reading everyone's responses.  I feel like this is throwing unnecessary cold water on faces that have been sincerely contributing most merry and joyous posts with the best of intentions. I feel this is discourageing others, making them worry about propriety, making this a place of pretense.

It's sad we have to get hung up on what I think is one four letter word that is so so common.

Before we remove the thread, I would like to hear from young Mr. Kohler.  What does he think?  Or his parents?  Or what do others think about this? Has anyone else been enjoying the thread?  Can anyone else see it's value to the birding world, to us, to birding delight?

This has been such a sweet thread.  What laughter I have gotten reading these posts.  And it has created a whole differeent image of birders for me.  It makes you all a friendly bunch - a warm bunch of folks...the best of mentors for a young 11 year old.  And a 44 year old newbie like me who is often scared off by all of you.

When I first got on here, I kept thinking everyone was going to California to see birds until I figured out CA meant Conservation Area.  How's that for a laugh - and willingness to be self-revelatory?  I often wish folks on here would not use so many acronyms but I never complained.  I am not complaining now. I figured it out - and shared my "naivete" with a few trusted folks who wouldn't make me feel more the fool than I already did.

This can be a daunting and intimidating discussion list for a newbie. I hope you'll take some of what we have to say to heart.

Thanks,
Chris McClarren
St. Louis City