Well, if one reads any of the biographies, it is hard to think he never was.  But that aside, his position was that of many famous people who did show appreciation without this evasion.
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>06/17/09 7:27 AM >>>
More often than not, for a person placed in Eliot's position, one has to be wary of making
comments because they are liable to misuse. I do not suppose Eliot would be so unkind as not appreciate where appreciation was due in his estimation.

CR

--- On Wed, 6/17/09, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
If your purpose is to acknowledge and appreciate another's thoughtfulness, clearly it is not.  If your purpose is to avoid that, it could be..
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj 06/17/09 6:19 AM >>>
I wonder if sending a thank-you note is being "covertly unkind".

CR