--- On Wed, 6/17/09, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
If your purpose is to acknowledge and appreciate another's thoughtfulness, clearly it is not.  If your purpose is to avoid that, it could be..
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj 06/17/09 6:19 AM >>>
I wonder if sending a thank-you note is being "covertly unkind".

CR

--- On Wed, 6/17/09, Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
If their gift required any kind of response at all,
was it really a gift?

P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="http:[log in to unmask]" target=_blank rel=nofollow>Nancy Gish
To: [log in to unmask] href="http:[log in to unmask]" target=_blank rel=nofollow>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: Eliot on Gifts (Was Re: Augustine--Now ON Topic)

Dear Rickard,

I've read it too and also don't remember where.  But do you really consider it wisdom?  It seems to me a way to be covertly unkind to those who sent a gift.
Nancy

>>> Rickard Parker <[log in to unmask]" target=_blank rel=nofollow>MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "us.mc450.mail.yahoo.com" claiming to be [log in to unmask]> 06/16/09 5:18 PM >>>
> The OT thread on the phrase and concept "free gift" made me want to look
> at how Eliot deals with "gifts" and "giving" in his poetry.

On the subject of gifts here is something that I first send after
Christmas 2007:

Now seems a good time to pass along a little bit of Eliot wisdom.

Eliot said to write a thank you note immediately for every book gotten
as a gift. That way one avoided having to comment upon its content.

I wish I remembered where I read this.

Regards,
Rick Parker