Dear Rickard,

I've read it too and also don't remember where.  But do you really consider it wisdom?  It seems to me a way to be covertly unkind to those who sent a gift.
Nancy

>>> Rickard Parker <[log in to unmask]> 06/16/09 5:18 PM >>>
> The OT thread on the phrase and concept "free gift" made me want to look
> at how Eliot deals with "gifts" and "giving" in his poetry.

On the subject of gifts here is something that I first send after
Christmas 2007:

Now seems a good time to pass along a little bit of Eliot wisdom.

Eliot said to write a thank you note immediately for every book gotten
as a gift. That way one avoided having to comment upon its content.

I wish I remembered where I read this.

Regards,
Rick Parker