There are gifts that come with obligations.

Someone takes a person to dinner. There is a tacit assumption that the hospitality will be reciprocated.

There are also gifts which are not free in the opposite direction. If someone invites colleagues to a dinner at his/her house then he is obligated to include even those colleagues tat he would not with to associate with outside of work.