MOBirders,

Many spam filters block the copies of your own posts that the lists sends out. This is an unintentional side effect, and here's what happens:

When you send a post to the list, the list sends it out to all subscribers, but it leaves your name in the sender field. So when it send you a copy, the email is both addressed to you and addressed from you. When a spam filter sees this, it assumed something funny is going on, and it blocks the message. 99.9% of the time there is something funny going on, but in this somewhat peculiar case, you don't get your copy.

If you're running a personal spam filter, you can usually turn this feature off (though if you do, you'll almost certainly get more spam). But if your email provider is doing it for you, it's doubtful there's any way around it, short of switching providers.

So, if you want confirmation of your posts, but aren't getting copies, I would suggest you use the "acknowledgement" feature of the list. This feature will have the server send you an email confirming receipt of your post. It will not be a copy, but it will let you know that all is well, and most importantly, it ought to make it through your spam filter.

This setting can be turned on via the subscription settings page at the list website:

Select "Short message confirming receipt," which you'll find under the "Acknowledgements" heading, and click the "Update Options" button at the bottom. (Note that if this is the first time you've used the subscription settings page, you'll have to select a password to login before you can access it.)

This setting can also be turned on by sending an email to [log in to unmask] with the following text: SET MOBIRDS-L ACK

Dave Scheu
MOBirds-L list co-owner
St. Louis, MO