From: Jim Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Wanted to share:
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 2:58 PM

Mobirders,

This spring has been very interesting and a little bit rewarding.  As migration got underway, and things started to happen, I took a little time to reflect on what was going on in the Zellmer's world.  Below is an account of just different things that I found interesting or a bit unusual and wanted to share them with you all.  There is no particular order, they occurred as they were thought of.

1)  I still have 15 Pine Siskins coming to my backyard feeders.  They are singing up a
     storm and eating me out of house and home.  They wait in the near by trees for me to
     fill up the feeders and the bird bath and then descend like there is no tomorrow.

2)  I have one male and two female Rose-breasted Grossbeaks coming to my feeders as
     well and this is the first time ever since I have lived in Blue Springs.  It is now five days
     and they seem pretty contented.  We'll see if they hang around and nest.

3)  After three years, I still have a Cooper's Hawk living somewhere in the back of the
     neighborhood.  He make an appearance ever once in a while, looks around and then
     off.

4)  For the first time, I had a Veery pass through my backyard and stopped for a short
     break.  Just long enough to sing his absolutely wonderful song.  Love the double
     fluted sound.

5)  At last count I have 12 different species of birds nesting in one of three backyards
    including my own.  The yards are all right there together, mine, one to the north and one
    to the south.  The birds are:  Goldfinch, Brown Thrasher, Black-capped Chickadee,
    Blue Jay, House Sparrow, Mourning Dove, Starling, Grackle, Carolina Wren, House
    Wren, and Cardinal.

6)  For the first time, I had a Western Meadowlark singing just a few blocks of my house.
     This is very much in the city limits of Blue Springs and the first one for Jackson
     County.

7)  And finally, the Western Kingbirds have returned to Blue Springs.  It has gotten to
     where they are as much a apart of spring as the flowers blooming and the Robins
     singing.  It is nice to live in the mid-west where we have such wonderful opportunities
     for the birds that grace our backyards and make life a little more enjoyable.

Thanks and have a great day and happy birding,

Jim Zellmer
Blue Springs, MO
816-228-3955