Jim: If you have Goldfinches nesting at this time of year, it would be quite remarkable. I have nest date data for over 240 birds in the midwest spaning a time period of 40 plus years. The earliest nest date for Goldfinches that I have in Missouri is July 10th in St. Louis County. Most nest dates range from July 15 to Aug. 15 in the areas I have observed them.
Just wanted to pass this info on to you.
Good luck and good birding.
Dave Pierce
St. Louis County