Hi everone,

We had our annual field trip to Weston Bend State Park today. I had lots of excellent pairs of eyes and ears helping out finding the birds on the bike trail.  In fact, I think we had @ 32 pairs!  This has been a weird spring.  I suspect migration is late....we had quite a few ruby crowned kinglets and a female purple finch today.  Also alot of the migrants were not singing, just a few notes and songs here and there, so even with all the eyes, it was not easy locating them.   We also had two of the best birders in the country walking with us (Mark Robbins and Jon Dunn) and they even commented how silent the birds were.  The birds we saw were very busy filling up their bellies.  We did have a great day in spite of the silence, (except the songs of the nesters) and ended up with 18 species of warblers.  We did great also on vireo species (7 species)  I will just list the trip birds, and if I left any off, please let me know.  Oh yeah I forgot...mammal species...1 poor abandoned young guinea pig found near trail emaciated and dehydrated, who now has a home at Leo zoo.

Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk
Mourning Dove
Ruby-throated hummer
Red-headed woodpecker (little bean marsh)
Red-bellied wp
Downy
Hairy w.p.
Flicker
Pileated (little bean marsh)
E. Wood pewee
Acadian
Least Flycatcher
E. Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
White-eyed vireo
Bell's Vireo (at the front gate @ 7:00 while waiting for gate to open)
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue-headed
Warbling
Philadelphia
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
Purple Martin
BC Chicadee
Tufted Titmouse
Wh Breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Blue-gray gnatcatcher
E. Bluebird
Gray-cheeked Thrush
Swainson's
Wood thrush
Robin
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
B. Thrasher
Golden-winged Warbler (*5 individuals)
tennesee
Orange-crowned
Nashville
N. Parula
Yellow (little bean marsh)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (little bean marsh)
Yellow-throated Warbler
Blackpoll
Black and white
A. Redstart