Hello all,

Thought I'd chime in on the Siskin discussion and offer some other
observations.

After moving to Augusta from Texas in January, my first 2009 record for Pine
Siskin was on February 17.  After that date, they were absent until April 27
when ~ a half dozen showed up at the feeders.  From April 27th forward,
there was a gradual increase in their numbers with a high of 26 birds at my
feeders at any given time this past Sunday, May 10th.  American Goldfinch
also increased in numbers during that same time period.  The trees around
our house were thick with finches and siskins.  There were so many of both
species calling that I could only hear the songs of Tennessee Warbler and
Indigo Bunting while standing in our front yard.  All other birds songs
were either inaudible or indecipherable during that time.  Logic tells you
that the finch and siskin numbers here were much greater than a simple count
of birds at the feeders at any given time.

The scene was quite impressive, and we paid for it, going through a total of
~ 12+ lbs of nyger from Thursday through Monday.

During this past weekend, our Rose-breasted Grosbeak numbers increased to a
high of 11 at the feeders at any given time on Monday.  Indigo Bunting also
increased to a high of 9.

Yesterday, Tuesday, May 12, there was a huge decrease in activity at the
feeders with only 5 Rose-breasted Grosbeak, 4 Indigo Bunting, 4 Pine Siskin,
and 10 American Goldfinch present at any given time.

Today, Wednesday, May 13, I have counted as many as 3 Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, 3 Indigo Bunting, 2 Pine Siskin, and ~ 10 American Goldfinch
present at any given time.  Also interesting is the presence of a
single *JUVENILE
*Pine Siskin for those of you keeping track of nesting activity.

Obviously, it appears that the decrease in activity means the majority of
these birds have moved on ... at least from Augusta, MO.

Shawn Ashbaugh
Augusta, MO

http://www.mobirds.org