Dave:

I love your devotion to birds evident in the exquisite detail in your descriptions of witnessing nuthatch life.  I feel very inspired by those I call "bird ecologists" (like you and Susan and so many on this list) and hope you post lots more like this.

I do not consider what any of you do when you go birding a "hobby" -  and feel pained when folks like you, Susan, have to feel like you have to "justify" it. This is what humans need to be doing - paying attention to the language of the land and all creation.  Considering "birding" a "hobby" or a "luxury" instead of as essential as breathing is what has led to the demise of so much of the earth and so many species that we are witnessing - at least I think so.  Sorry - I get a bit passionate about this stuff.

I don't know you, Dave, or your story or background or anything, but just wanted to share that it's stories like yours and Susan's and many others on this list that make it worthwhile to be on MO BIRDS for me - stories of people tending so tenderly to this richly colored thread in the weave of the magic spun by the earth -  and the cosmos - birds.

Gotta 'ave Aves....

Thank you,
Chris McClarren
St. Louis MO - city