Mike Niles and I, along with three students,  just got back from a very quick trip to Squaw Creek NWR and Bob Brown CA in northwest Missouri.  Although we rushed somewhat, we had a good outing but the variety and numbers of shorebirds was somewhat disappointing.  Some of the non-bird species were some of the highlights.  At Squaw, we saw two 4-5 foot black rat snakes sunning in a maple tree about 12 feet off the ground.  We also observed an ORANGE shortnose gar near the spillway along with a couple hundred normal ones and a few carp.  The birds at Squaw incuded:

Pied-billed Grebes

White Pelicans

DC Cormorants

Great Blue Herons (one attempting to eat a large bullhead)

Great Egrets

Turkey Vultures

Snow Geese

Blue-winged Teal

Gadwall

N. Shoveler

Mallard

Bald Eagles

Red-tailed Hawks

American Kestrel

Killdeer

AMERICAN AVOCETS (3)

Long-billed Dowitchers

Greater Yellowlegs

Lesser Yellowlegs

Spotted Sandpipers (several)

Pectoral Sandpipers

Wilson’s Phalarope (2)

Bonaparte’s Gull (1)

Forester’s Tern (4)

Morning dove

Great Horned Owl

Belted Kingfisher

Red-headed Woodpecker

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

N. Flicker

E. Phoebe

E. Kingbird

Warbling Vireo

Yellow-throated Vireo

Blue Jay

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Tufted Titmouse

White-breasted Nuthatch

Carolina Wren

House Wrens (numerous)

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Blue-gray Gnatcatchers

Am. Robin

Gray Catbird

Brown Thrasher

E. Starling

Yellow-rumped Warblers

Black and White Warbler

White-crowned sparrow

White-throated sparrow

Chipping sparrow

Savannah sparrow

Grasshopper sparrow

Harris’s sparrow

N. Cardinal

Rose-breasted Grosbeaks (2) – at feeders behind headquarters

Red-winged Blackbirds

YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS (20+)

E. Meadowlark

Common Grackle

Brown-headed Cowbird

American Goldfinch

House sparrow

At Bob Brown CA there was quite a bit of good shorebird habitat but few birds…..  Basically Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and Spotted Sandpipers.  We did get excellent views of two Sora.  Also a pair of Ring-necked pheasants.  We also saw a small wren (Sedge? or Marsh?) but could not get a good look at it.

Although we saw did not have the luxury of leisurely birding, we had a good outing and the students were exposed to numerous species of birds, etc….

Terry L. Miller

Kearney HS

Clay CO.,MO