Mike Niles and I, along with three students,  just got back from a very quick trip to Squaw Creek NWR and Bob Brown CA in northwest Missouri.  Although we rushed somewhat, we had a good outing but the variety and numbers of shorebirds was somewhat disappointing.  Some of the non-bird species were some of the highlights.  At Squaw, we saw two 4-5 foot black rat snakes sunning in a maple tree about 12 feet off the ground.  We also observed an ORANGE shortnose gar near the spillway along with a couple hundred normal ones and a few carp.  The birds at Squaw incuded:

Pied-billed Grebes
White Pelicans
DC Cormorants
Great Blue Herons (one attempting to eat a large bullhead)
Great Egrets
Turkey Vultures
Snow Geese
Blue-winged Teal
Gadwall
N. Shoveler
Mallard
Bald Eagles
Red-tailed Hawks
American Kestrel
Killdeer
AMERICAN AVOCETS (3)
Long-billed Dowitchers
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Spotted Sandpipers (several)
Pectoral Sandpipers
Wilson's Phalarope (2)
Bonaparte's Gull (1)
Forester's Tern (4)
Morning dove
Great Horned Owl
Belted Kingfisher
Red-headed Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
N. Flicker
E. Phoebe
E. Kingbird
Warbling Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue Jay
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wrens (numerous)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
Am. Robin
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
E. Starling
Yellow-rumped Warblers
Black and White Warbler
White-crowned sparrow
White-throated sparrow
Chipping sparrow
Savannah sparrow
Grasshopper sparrow
Harris's sparrow
N. Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks (2) - at feeders behind headquarters
Red-winged Blackbirds
YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS (20+)
E. Meadowlark
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
American Goldfinch
House sparrow

At Bob Brown CA there was quite a bit of good shorebird habitat but few birds.....  Basically Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and Spotted Sandpipers.  We did get excellent views of two Sora.  Also a pair of Ring-necked pheasants.  We also saw a small wren (Sedge? or Marsh?) but could not get a good look at it.

Although we saw did not have the luxury of leisurely birding, we had a good outing and the students were exposed to numerous species of birds, etc....

Terry L. Miller
Kearney HS
Clay CO.,MO