Anne Downing and I took a pleasant long walk on the Katy Trail this evening.  We checked out both Wetland Unit #1 and #2.   Mudflats are returning to #2 but no shorebirds in evidence;  #1 is now accessible, looks the same so I don't think the flood waters topped the levee there.  We did hear several Sora at #1 but did not find our sought-after birds - bitterns or moorhens.

Walking toward #2, heard first of the year Wood Thrush and hit a flock of about 4 RB Grosbeaks and a flock of 3-5 Blackpoll Warblers.  Heard Worm-eating, and also saw Tennessee, Yellow-rumped, Nashville, and Prothonotary warblers, both Orioles, and several Swainson's Thrushes.

Looks to still be lots of water in the bottoms.

Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO