Gary Johnson, Paul Habiger, Don Stout and I birded Platte Falls CA, Squaw Creek NWR and Bob Brown CA today. Collectively, we saw and/or heard 125 species, including 20 species of shore birds and several other goodies. We saw and heard Yellow-rumped Warblers nearly everywhere, suggesting that the big push of later warblers is yet to come. We also saw quite a few Harris Sparrows and one White-crowned Sparrow. Most of the dabbling ducks are still represented in substantial numbers. Except for Phoebe, G. Crested and Kingbirds, flycatchers do not appear to be in yet. No cuckoos today. In many ways, it seemed more like the end of April than the 6th of May.

Conditions are Bob Brown are ideal. Almost all of the shorebird action at Squaw Creek was at the south end of Mallard Marsh.

Highlights of our trip are as follows: (details on CACHE later)

Platte Falls CA:

1 Golden-winged Warbler
1 Northern Waterthrush
Prothonotary, Parula, Kentucky, Yellow and Yellow-rumped Warblers.
White-eyed, Yellow-throated and Red-eyed Vireos.

Squaw Creek:

1 Palm Warbler
1 Y-B Chat (near Mallard Marsh)
10-12 W-F Ibis
3 Snowy Egrets

18 species of shore birds, including:

1 Avocet
2-3 BLACK-NECKED STILTS
1 Hudsonian Godwit
1 RUDDY TURNSTONE
3 Dunlin
1 Baird's Sandpiper
Numerous yellowlegs, dowitchers, peeps and Semi-palmated Plovers

Bob Brown:

2 Black-crowned Night Herons
several Soras
1 Marsh Wren

We met Jon Dunn at Bob Brown who said he had provoked a response from a Virginia Rail by slamiming his car door. We slammed our car door several times in the same location and played the VA Rail tape w/o response.

18 species of shore birds at BB included:

1 Solitary Sandpiper
1 Black-bellied Plover
1 SANDERLING
1-2 Dunlin
7-8 Hudsonian Godwits
5 Stilt Sandpipers
Lots of peeps in the outlet channel where viewing can be at close range w. binoculars.

On the way home, we check the fence along Mexico City Ave. at MCI airport for Western Kingbird and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and found 1 W. Kingbird and 2 Scissortails.

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/