Adding to the list at Horseshoe Lake, we also saw a calender-worthy Yellow Warbler in perfect light in the trees along the north shore road.  It was my first of year, as I was in Colorado last weekend and have been happily catching up since I got back.  Thanks for a great day, David.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County

--- On Sat, 5/2/09, David Becher <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
From: David Becher <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: WGNSS Saturday Walk Saint Louis Area
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, May 2, 2009, 8:30 PM

We started in Tower Grove Park in Saint Louis.  The number of birds was low although the variety was not bad.  We had Cape May, Black and White, Black-throated Green, and Palm Warbler and Ovenbird among other warblers.  There were lots of Baltimore and one Orchard Oriole and a few Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.  We also had Great-crested and Least Flycatcher and lots of Swainson's Thrushes and one possible Veery.  Blue-headed was the most interesting Vireo.  After the park we went to Cahokia Mounds were we had Summer Tanager and heard Northern Waterthrush in the woods and had a number of Cattle Egrets and our first Dickcissel in the fields.  At Horseshoe Lake the trees along the north shore road were thick with Yellow-rumped Warblers.  There were a fair number of Palm Warblers mixed in and at least five Blackpolls were seen or heard.  There were both Forster's and Common Terns on the lake.  Columbia Bottoms had a few shorebirds mostly Yellowlegs, Solitary, and Spotted with a few Least Sandpipers and one beautiful Wilson's Phalarope.  We also had our first baby Killdeer of the season.  We finished by visiting the horse farm on Powers road for Bobolinks.

David Becher
Saint Louis