Shawn (and everyone on here)...you recommended Lost Valley as a good place to go birding when I met you in Tower Grove Park.  I tried it this past weekend with my Ma and my husband - we saw a Pileated Woodpecker (we got so excited we forgot to notice if it was male or female) right away! It was as up close as it gets, just a about 20 feet away.  Gorgeous.

I saw my first Northern Parula there just as you said I would - and my first Pine Warbler.  We didn't acutally see a lot but what we did see made the trip so worthwhile.  And it's a beautiful trail.

For Mother's Day, I would love to take my experienced birder mother to another special place to bird (not Lost Valley since, as I have said, we've just been).  And I am not willing to travel all the way to Jefferson City to see the Painted Bunting, although that's mighty tempting, mighty tempting.

What do you and other folks here recommend?  I don't want to have to travel more than 30-40 minutes from St. Louis City on Mother's Day - we live way south in the city.

By the way, I bird almost everyday around dusk at Tower Grove.  I saw my first Least Flycatcher there today but oddly enough, no warblers.

What causes a place like Tower Grove (Gaddy) to change so much - one day it's filled with warblers and the next it's as quiet as the grave.  Being pretty new to birding, I'd love others ideas on this.

And what about this trip I hear so many are taking to Ohio?  To someplace called Point Pelee?  What's the scoop on that?  Who's sponsoring it and what's so hot about this place?  Maybe I ought to plan to go next year.  I hear people are leaving for the trip this Thursday?

And what's with this Bird-A-Thon this Saturday?  Where's the info on that?

Lots of questions.  Thanks.

Oh, I saw the GHO parents and their sibling yesterday in Tower Grove doing very nicely, thank you.  It's been a delight to watch the babies grow and now hang out learning to hunt with their parents - well, at least the one.  The other is soon to be released from WBS.  I gotta email Roger about when and where the release will be.  Anyone interested in being there, let me know.

Chris McClarren
St. Louis South City