Dear MoBirders,

Michelle and I also went to Jefferson City after a Wonderful Introduction to
Baskett Wildlife Research Area by John Besser, Vanessa Melton and others -
Thank You All So Very Much!!! I personally was able to Add (12) Birds (8 of
them Warblers!!!) to my Year List and Learned where some of the Best Areas
to Bird out there were, I will Most Certainly be back!!! THANK YOU!!!

Now back to the PAINTED BUNTING, when we arrived (12:20ish) at Steak &
Shake and Searched the Area, we weren't able to See or Hear anything, so
we headed to Taco Bell, were again there was nothing... So we ate Lunch and
then searched again behind Taco Bell - this time there was nothing, but then I
Heard the Song!!! We Looked Everywhere but to no avail, and then I Saw it,
but it was on the Top of a Tree behind Steak & Shake's Dumpster... So we
jumped in the car and drove over there just in time to Find him gone... We
didn't give up though and hung around for a good half hour and about that
time, I started Hearing his Song again, first Faintly, and then Loudly, and then
Faintly again... For a few Moments I would have Sworn that there were Two
Male PAINTED BUNTINGS Singing, but I can't Varify that for sure, as I Never
saw two of them at one time, just Distinct Songs from two Different
Directions...??? Hmmmm... He was Driving me "Crazy"!!! Then I saw him Fly
and was able to track him to some Evergreen Bushes on the East Side of the
Back of Steak & Shake (from the Dumpster which is West), he was Perfectly
Posed in front of the Evergreens and just as I was about to Take his Picture,
he Flew again... Damn!!! He then landed in the Tallest Tree behind the
Dumpster and started Singing again, I was able to get a few Photos of him,
but they are Very Poor, partly due to Poor Lighting and partly because of
Distance... I was then Distracted by Michelle who had spotted a RUBY-
THROATED HUMMINGBIRD (our First of the Year...), and of course, the Bunting
Disappeared, not to be seen or heard again...

I will Agree with Mark, I think that if you try to Find him in the Back of either
Restaurant and don't See/Hear him, Look around at the Front along the
Telephone/Power Lines or Bushes, because when I was Hearing two Distinct
Songs, one always sounded like it was coming from the Front of the
Buildings... That would also expalin where he would go when he would fly over
the Buildings, though with time, he Always comes back to the Trees... So
Don't Give Up!!!

Michelle and I then Searched for the Western Kingbird that was Reported
behind K-Mart ( also on Missouri Blvd.), and didn't Find it... So we headed to
Cedar City (just North across the River from Jeff...) and with almost No
Searching, Found a single WESTERN KINGBIRD on the Lines in front of the
Silos/Truck Depot Area... Then on further down this Road (Sorry, the Name
Escapes me - it's the First Exit you come to when you Cross the Bridge from
Jeff, turning Left...), inbetween the Soccer Fields and the Old Prison was a
single SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER on the Lines...

We also had (7-10) BOBOLINKS on Loy Martin Rd. which is just North of
Ashland, Boone County...

All in all a Wonderful Day/Weekend of Birding, with Great Company and Great
Leadership!!! Thank You ASM & CAS For Everything That You Do For All Of Us
Birders, You Make Birding and Our World, So Much The Better!!! Thank You!!!

Lastly, I was Honoured to Have Met So Many of my Fellow Birders this
Weekend, Many of whom I have Read your Posts Religiously, it was a True
Pleasure for me that could Only have been Bettered if I could have Met You
All!!! Thank You once more, Please Take Care.

Yousr,
Jonathan B. Pons
Boonville, Cooper County

On Sun, 3 May 2009 18:06:42 -0500, Mark Gutchen
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I took a break from my trial preparation and went to Steak and Shake on
Missouri Blvd. The painted bunting was there, singing away as large as life in
the tree behind the dumpster as I pulled into the parking. Not a very elegant
location for such an elegant bird. Unfortunately, as soon as I got my camera
out the bird flew away over the top of the restaurant. I managed to locate it
again, singing away at the top of its voice on the telephone wire along
Missouri Blvd. [For those of you who do not know Jefferson City, the Blvd is a
major, five lane street of strip malls and restaurants. I had always imagined I
would get to see my first painted bunting in a pristine nature area surrounded
by beautiful plants].  I managed to get a few bad photos as I dodged the
traffic. The bird then flew behind the Staples store, singing from bush to
bush - then in a ravine between Staples and Highway 50 where I finally lost
sight of it.

>Seems like the bird is setting up a territory in that general neighborhood.
>
>It is a life bird for me. I was feeling sorry for myself because I had to work
today - but now I feel a lot better.

>Mark Gutchen
>Columbia, MO

in Jefferson City she stopped and looked around in Cedar City, southern
Callaway County, this morning. She relocated the two Scissor-tailed
Flycatchers at the intersection of Cedar City Drive and 4th Street. A bit
further north on 4th Street, near the picnic pavilion, she found a Western
Kingbird.

>  The male Painted Bunting sang for at least a steady fifteen minutes behind
the Taco Bell on the western end of Missouri Blvd, Jefferson City, Cole County.
Viewing is great even though the Painted Bunting is perched in the second line
of trees  because the trees are more of a shrub/scrub height and they are
down slope from the Taco Bell's rear parking lot.